It’s FRIDAY – what is this blog about?
The word does sounds kinda unusual, doesn’t it?
It’s short for weblog, and there are tens of thousands of them online, talking about every imaginable subject.
Some dismiss blogs as pointless, incessant barking, and some blogs are exactly that 🙂
Some blogs are good, and helpful, and provide a service to their readers…and that is what motivates me here.
Taking on a project like this – a blog – comes with some responsibilities: writing and posting articles daily, interacting with the people who are kind enough to comment on what they read.
It is my blog – but if it’s all about me, then I may as well shut it down.
BrianD blog is where part of the community from the Phoenix Preacher blog I was part of has journeyed online. Some may think that perhaps I would pick up where its founder, Michael Newnham, left off.
However, my calling and gifts are wholly different from his, so I will leave Michael’s calling to him or whomever God would desire to carry it forward.
Nevertheless, there are two things about PP that stand out to me:
- Michael served others by talking about issues of interest to his audience, sometimes using his own life as an example
- He sought to represent Jesus and serve Him well.
This blog hopefully will include these core elements going forward:
- God-oriented, and others-oriented
- What God is doing in my life, and yours, and in the world we live in
- Things that I may find to be especially helpful, or interesting, to you.
I may talk about myself once in a while…but I don’t want this blog’s voice to be incessant barking. There’s enough of that online as is.
I want this blog’s voice to spark conversation.
I want to follow in the footsteps of such Christian bloggers as Bill Kinnon, Dan Edelen, Michael Spencer and the guys who are continuing his legacy at Internet Monk and the Boars’ Head Tavern, and Michael Newnham.
And I want to be a voice for hurting Christians, Christians who have fallen through the cracks in the church floor, and Christians who feel alienated from the world or the church.
I’ve been all of those things…and there are very few voices speaking out for those wounded sheep.
There are plenty of Calvinist blogs, young restless and Reformed blogs, blogs extolling the glories of church planting and service. I don’t have much to contribute to those conversations.
But it’s a big church, with a large variety of denominations and perspectives under the Protestant banner, and I’d like to explore that quite a bit.
I also want to thank the audience who has followed me over here from Phoenix Preacher, and from other places on the web…and help that audience and grow it, if God permits.
There are a few other reasons why I want to keep going here for awhile:
- I didn’t want the PP community to die off…and while Michael needed to shut down his blog, I couldn’t stand to let the community disappear into the vapors…
- Right now, I NEED that community desperately, especially since circumstances are keeping me from building community in my local church which I don’t see changing anytime soon.
- I really like to write…and I dare to believe that perhaps I might have something to say to the world from my little corner of the web.
We’ll see where this goes. I hope it has a long shelf life.